For First-Time Homebuyers and others who didn’t get the right advice:
- I am a member of the Mortgage Professionals Canada association. What is it? Why am I proud to be part of it?
- Top 34 Mortgage Experts Give Away Their Best Mortgage Tips (1 from me)
- The Top 10 mistakes that new home buyers make (From MoneySense)
- “I have to pay for that?” 11 unexpected costs when buying your first house
- A real life mortgage scenario calculator from The Globe and Mail, this is very good!
- My look at CMHC’s 2014 First-Time Homebuyer Survey (Can be applied to any year)y
- Tips on power saving for down payment
- A very common question- Can I get the same artificially low rates on one of those rate sites?
- How many lenders do I work with and why would I choose one over another?
- How much does it cost to break a mortgage with the lenders I work with and the big banks?
- My large article explaining the process of working with me
- Why do I ask for documents upfront at time of pre-approval?
- My article on what other past first-time homebuyers would do if they could do it again
- This article looks at the suitability of the specific mortgage for you
- Your mortgage has been approved, all documents accepted… what next?
- Getting renovations priced into your mortgage
- The 5 most asked questions to real estate lawyers
- A young man is almost debt free by 31, this is how he did it
- Options for buying a home for your children when they go off to College or University in Canada
- Lower Home Insurance Costs: 16 Factors Used by Insurers to Evaluate You
- Five signs you are ready to take the home-buying plunge (from Globe and Mail)
- Great article on using 35% of your “Net Income” on housing and how to save up the down payment to hit your goal!
- Defaulting on a mortgage in Ontario: The financial Institution standpoint by Ian Charlebois
- The Appraisal Institute of Canada has developed this guide to provide consumers with advice and guidance on how to effectively hire a professional appraiser to complete a property market value assessment. Typically, I as the mortgage advisor or the lender arrange the appraiser but this is what you should know happens.
- My look at CMHC’s 2014 Consumer Survey and my commitment to you
- What you need to know about Title Insurance in Ottawa- Guest post from Michael Abrams
- Can you pay down your mortgage an extra $200 a month? Look inside to see what happens!
- Buying a new home
- Mortgage Pre-Approval
- Your credit report
- Fixed vs Variable Rate
- What is the Right Term?
- Renewal time, what happens?
- Self-Employed Solutions
- CMHC premiums increasing on March 17,2017
- My summary of CMHC’s Ottawa Housing Market Fall 2014 Report
For Americans looking to buy in Canada:
- Tips for Americans looking to get a mortgage to purchase a vacation home in Canada
- Do Americans living in Canada have to pay tax when they sell a house?
For Canadians looking to buy in America:
Are you thinking about getting a mortgage with TD or National Bank or do you already have one?:
- Here is the CBC Marketplace episode showing how ignorant employees are about collateral mortgages
- Why you should stay away from collateral mortgages
- Let me know if you have more questions about them, I worked at TD when they were introduced!
Random important mortgage articles to read:
- Capital gains when owing a principle residence and cottage
- What are your options if a life event has you in a bind to make your mortgage payment?
- Top 42 Financial Tips from MoneySense, with my comments
- An article about the referral fees given to realtors from banks
- Why fixed interest rates should soon fall
- Tax Implications on Condo Investing
- The importance of having a buyer’s representative on your side
- Top 10 Questions to help you avoid Mortgage penalty shock
- 10 Questions that every mortgage borrower should ask but don’t
- 10 Most commonly asked mortgage questions
- 11 steps to Rebuilding your credit
- House Hopping is Keeping you Broke, and definitely NOT Making You Rich
- How to Get Paid by Your Bank to use their monthly accounts (Really Interesting idea!)
- 6 big home insurance misconceptions (from CBC)
- The income tax implications of selling U.S. Real Estate
- Should You Claim Capital Cost Allowance on Your Rental Property?
Podcasts with people you will need in this industry (30 Minute audio interviews)
- Home Inspector, Eric Ayotte
- Home Stager, Micheline Masson
- Chartered Accountant, Chris Finlay
- Financial Planner, Shane Currey
- Real Estate lawyer, Jennifer Ahde
- Interior Designers, Leclair Decor
- Landscaping, Rocky Laporte “The Gentleman’s Gardener”
Information about new condos in the city:
- Domicile’s Nuovo
- Minto’s Beechwood
- Cita Alta Vista
- Soba Ottawa
- The Slater
- Minto’s UpperWest